Tinstaafl Logo

England & Wales Hardwicke Marriage Index
Marriages 1754 - 1837
Stretford St Cosmas & St Damian


The Parish

The parish of Stretford lies towards the northwest of central Herefordshire about 4 miles southwest of the market town of Leominster. Stretford lies on the A4110 road which connects Hereford with Leintwardine and is a tiny place with not even a hamlet to function as a centre. A scatter of farms and cottages spread over its equally small acreage on the northern banks of the Stretford Brook. A pastoral farming community exploiting the watermeadows of that stream. The parish is drained northwestward by the Brook, joining the Arrow near Leominster swiftly followed by the Lugg, the Lugg joins the Wye to the east of Hereford and makes its way to the Bristol Channel by the port of Chepstow. Stretford is sited at around 80 metres above the sea in gentle valley terrain where local heights rise to little more than 100 metres within a mile or two. Stretford parish was tiny, covering only a little over 400 acres it would not even have supported 50 parishioners. In Domesday times the parish was equally small meriting just a single plough plus a share in a second it was a lesser holding for Alfred of Marlborough.

The Church

St Cosmas & St Damian's church (early sources name it St Peter) lies immediately east of the A4110 and surrounded by farm buildings. The church is now in the hands of Churches Conservation Trust as it is almost redundant for worship. Despite its small size the church is as complex as it comes being comprised of two naves and two chancels joined to each other under a single roof. The older northern pair is Norman Romanesque whilst the southern pair is Early English Gothic the two being built in 12th and 13th centuries respectively. The pair were extended eastwards in the early 13th century with the Decorated style present at that eastern end. The single-span roof was a 16th century addition, a piece of work that Pevsner describes as giving the "little building remarkable grandeur". A pair of restorations in 1875 & 1922 complete the work upon an interesting little church. A narrow lane, signed to the church, leads southeastwards from the A4110 to a complex of farm buildings surrounding the little church, parking is relatively straightforward and the churchyard has no obstructions to photography.

The Records

Register No Covering Dates Deposited With Register Style Quality Standard Comments
1 22nd January 1771 - 19th March 1802 Herefordshire Archives & Record Centre - Reference - AE54/2 Plain, unruled book containing combined Banns & Marriages Grade 3 Register - there are sufficient quality issues with this register to indicate that some misreads will occur albeit few in number A tricky read but thankfully for few records, despite this a misread may well be present
2 13th April 1826 - 22nd November 1832 Herefordshire Archives & Record Centre - Reference - AE54/5 Standard Rose style preprinted and prenumbered Marriage register Grade 2 Register - not a perfect read but with a low likelihood of misreads None

Eardisland St Mary
Monkland All Saints
Monkland All Saints
Eardisland St Mary
Dilwyn St Mary
Monkland All Saints
Leominster St Peter & St Paul
Dilwyn St Mary
Birley St Peter
Leominster St Peter & St Paul

Register Reference Date Groom Forename Groom Surname Groom Status Groom Abode Bride Forename Bride Surname Bride Status Bride Abode
22/01/1771 Thomas PARRY     Esther CUR   Birley
01/05/1771 John CHILDS     Mary RAVINOL    
27/02/1775 James PARRY     Sarah NASH    
03/10/1775 John SMITH     Elizabeth PARRY    
15/06/1778 James JONES     Sarah DAVIES    
04/04/1782 John SANDEOFF   Dilwyn Mary BOUNDS    
16/09/1783 Benjamin JENSON   Ewyas Harold Elizabeth LUTON    
13/11/1785 Thomas SAVAGE     Susannah DRIVER   Leominster
27/12/1801 Richard HALL     Elizabeth WILSON    
19/03/1802 George PREECE     Elizabeth BRANSON    
1 13/04/1826 Thomas HUMPHREYS Widower   Charlotte REECE Single  
2 14/06/1827 Thomas LIDLAND Single   Ann BIRD Single  
3 17/06/1830 Thomas JONES     Sarah SMITH    
4 25/06/1832 James CALDES Single   Ann JONES Single Kingsland
5 22/11/1832 John BOTTOM Single   Mary GRIFFITHS Single Dilwyn

Corrections to Tinstaafl Transcripts