|
England
& Wales Hardwicke Marriage Index |
The ParishThe parish of Lyminster (early sources sometime render the parish name as Leominster) lies in southwestern Sussex not too far from the county's English Channel coastline. Lyminster is located roughly 2 miles south of the market town of Arundel and sits on the A284 road which connects Arundel with the port of Littlehampton. Whilst Lyminster was once a discrete small village, sitting alongside the A284 as it performs a series of abrupt right-angled bends through the village, today with the inland expansion of Littlehampton it has become conjoined. Lyminster has a long history with many ecclesiastical connections, it was home to a Benedictine nunnery & a priory of the Black Canons, but. of course, both were closed during Henry VIII's dissolution. Lyminster stands on low-lying marshland east of the course of the River Arun, the landscape would have been totally dominated by grazing pastures with cattle & especially sheep given their valuable byproduct of wool, patches of arable were, however, interspersed, in the early medieval period the area was noted for its salt pans creating that condiment through evaporation. The Arun was also navigable and Lyminster undoubtedly would have had a small wharf for transportation of both goods and people to and from nearby Arundel. Modern developments arrived in 1846 with the arrival of the railway line from Brighton to Chichester and another arriving to join it from the capital, the coastal line has a highly unusual bridge to cross the Arun being described as a "telescope" bridge which quickly winches in upon itself to allow vessels to pass, collapsing like a telescope in segments. Lyminster is drained the short distance to the English Channel by the Arun. Lyminster is sited qt just 3 metres above the sea, the marshes are abutted northwards by the low Warningcamp Hill which at 52 metres is the highest ground around. Lyminster parish covered just over 3,200 acres making it a large parish for its area, that acreage would have supported a population of close to 800 parishioners. In Domesday time Lyminster was a major settlement of 111 households placing it comfortably within the top 20% of settlements by population, held by Earl Roger of Shrewsbury it was also formidably wealthy with 40 ploughs, meadows, pastures & wood, a mill and 2 salthouses as well as the salt pans to provide for them, a wealthy manor indeed. |
|
|
|
|
|
| Register No | Covering Dates | Deposited With | Register Style | Quality Standard | Comments |
| 1 |
2nd October 1754 - 18th August 1812 |
West Sussex Record Office - Reference - Par131/1/1/3 |
Standard preprinted and self-numbered combined Banns &
Marriage register with 4 entries per page |
Grade 2 Register - not a perfect read but with a low
likelihood of misreads |
None |
| 2 | 10th March 1813 - 9th June1 1837 | West Sussex Record Office - Reference - Par131/1/3/1 | Standard Rose style preprinted and prenumbered Marriage register | Grade 2 Register - not a perfect read but with a low likelihood of
misreads |
None |
|
Warningcamp
St Nicholas
|
Warningcamp
St Nicholas
|
|
|
Torrington
St Thomas
|
![]() |
|
|
Climping St Mary
|
1760 1770 1780 1790 1800 1810 1820 1830
Corrections to Tinstaafl Transcripts